Cook's Hideout: Kohlrabi Curry

December 13, 2007

Kohlrabi Curry

I wanted to try Kohlrabi after seeing this recipe. I really loved the refreshing flavor and texture of this cabbage family member. It has long green stalks that are completely edible.

Ingredients:
Kohlrabi - 3, diced along with the greens
Onion - 1 medium, diced
Garlic - 1 clove, minced
Tomatoes - 2 medium, chopped
Green chilies - 2, chopped
Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
Jaggery - 1 tsp (or to taste)
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
 
Method:
  • Microwave chopped kohlrabi for 5 minutes or until tender. (Pressure cooking works fine too)
  • Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add the seeds and after they pop, saute onions till translucent.
  • Add tomatoes and green chilies; cover and cook till tender.
  • Add boiled kohlrabi along with the greens, red chili powder, tamarind paste, jaggery, salt and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or till the gravy thickens.
Serve with steamed rice or dosa or even roti.

Updated Image: December 2012:

17 comments:

  1. never tried kohlrabis. really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow never actually bought this beaty home.. next time i see it im gonna cook it.. nice one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Cooking for the second time tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi do I have to peel the Kohlrabi, I roasted and then peeled the hard outer covering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Raw kohlrabi with your favorite cheese and wine... Awsome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe! I haven't been able to locate jaggery or tamarind paste in my area, but I fine some delightful substitutes. It's easy and impresses people because they don't see kohlrabi too often. Over jasmine rice is how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do I need to peel it? If so, before or after microwaving?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do I need to peel it? If so, before or after microwaving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Kohlrabi needs to be peeled and chopped before microwaving. Hope you like it.

      Delete
  9. Never heard of this before... Found a new variety for the roti sides.. Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  10. How many does this recipe serve? (I'm assuming it's meant to be a main dish?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I usually serve this with rice or roti (Indian flat bread). This will make about 3-4 servings. Hope you try it.

      Delete
  11. You can sub sub Mexican piloncillo sugar for jaggery

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can sub sub Mexican piloncillo sugar for jaggery

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is like a potato curry except with Kohlrabi rather than potatoes, making it pretty paleo friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think I've ever had that but it looks inviting.
    http://jtrader.hubpages.com/hub/Best-Brands-of-Balsamic-Vinaigrette-Salad-Dressing

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my Hideout.

I really appreciate your feedback, so please feel free to leave your comment. I read all the comments you post, but I may not respond to them. Thank you for your time and hope you enjoyed your stay.

Have a Wonderful Day!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
Blogging tips